Last night I went to the mid-week service at Oak Hills, "Peak of the Week." It was surprising good and refreshing for the last half of the week. Worship was pretty good, as well as some good prayer with friends. The speaker didn't have very long to speak last night in comparison to normal I don't think, but it was a really really good, though-provoking message. The passage you used refers to Elijah and the widow at Zarephath and comes from 1 Kings 17:8-12. It reads this:
8 Then the word of the LORD came to him, saying, 9 “Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. See, I have commanded a widow there to provide for you.” 10 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, indeed a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, “Please bring me a little water in a cup, that I may drink.” 11 And as she was going to get it, he called to her and said, “Please bring me a morsel of bread in your hand.” 12 So she said, “As the LORD your God lives, I do not have bread, only a handful of flour in a bin, and a little oil in a jar; and see, I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it, and die.”
He also had a D-clip, or carabiner, and in my opinion if hand cuffs didn't have such a negative connotation to them then they may have been a better example. But regardless, he used the carabiner, which if you don't know if used for climbing to support a climber to a line that is already to connected to the rock or that they are connecting to the rock as they climb, and basically just used it to show that if you know Jesus and God then you are always linked to God. No matter what situation we are in, whether we are in financial trouble or we are having relational issues or we just don't know where to go or what to do anymore, we are always linked to God. The biggest point he made was in saying "even when you feel like you are in the widow's situation, you are ALWAYS linked to God, and even in the worst times, God will not let you slip away." The thing is, we are linked to God, as long as we know Jesus then we are linked to God with a carabiner that does not ever break. How cool and reassuring is that?! Even on our worst day when we totally want to just walk away from God, we are still linked to Him with our carabiner and the next day or the next day or whenever that day comes that you want to talk to Him again or walk back towards Him, you're already there, He never unclasped the carabiner. I love it!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment