Friday, August 10, 2012

Prayer and Me

Alrighty, so today will be about prayer and it’s roles and effects in my life.  It hasn’t been easy to get where I am with prayer, and I started a complete 180 from where I am.

It starts in elementary. I was in first grade attending a church with my mom’s friend who we lived with.  I asked my mom how to know that God could hear me and how to hear Him responding when I talked to Him.  She told me to ask the pastor guy but he had a crowd of people so I said I’d ask him next time.  Well, that week the church burned down, and I don’t remember if we ever went again after that, but I know I never got that question answered.
That doesn’t have much to do with anything, so I’m going to take you to my high school years which have more importance in this story.  I was a questioner, not really a believer, and not a fan of praying.  While, I never thought back to those questions from first grade, I knew I didn’t know much about God or praying and I didn’t want to talk to the air.  I had a really good friend I went to church with on occasion. This friend and I would pray together.
It started around the end of my junior year.  We had a coach at our school (he wasn’t our coach, but his wife was a PE Teacher and friend of ours and my friend’s soccer coach).  This guy coach had cancer.  He was only like 26 years old and suffering from a kind of rare cancer that usually only appears in older seniors.  He got some treatments, was doing ok, then got used to the treatments. There were no other treatments to try and the doctors gave him a few months. He lived past those few months and they gave him another few months. During that time coach found a trial treatment, and he flew from Virginia to Boston for three days at a time, every week, for treatment and recovery.  The new treatment was working, and he made it past the new date. Again they gave him a date because while it was working, they didn’t see it going away ever. Coach became too used to those medicines also and now there really were no more treatments to try. He was getting weaker. As the end of the school year was approaching my friend wanted us to pray for him since we wouldn’t see him again until the fall, and so we did. The next day he passed away.  I was so mad and hurt. I was not going to pray again.

Fast forward not even two full months. My friend convinced me to pray again. This time we were praying for some of our friends who were about to leave for college. That night/early morning there was a bad accident and one of those friends died.  It really stunk because of the four people in the car, the driver, who was the only one wearing a seatbelt and the only one with no drugs or alcohol in her system, was the only one who died.  I was so frustrated and angry that I had fell to praying. Now I was sure I would never pray again. I would never give opportunity for someone else to die, it wasn’t’ worth it.
Well, go forward a few years to college, I have become a believer and am hanging out with my mentor one day.  She asks me to pray before we start our bible study. Now between this friend dying and this point I was fine listening to people pray. It didn’t mean anything to me, I just listened. So what was I going to do? I was ready to just walk away and leave. I knew I was either going to leave or I was going to pray. I was scared to death inside. I ended up staying and praying that day.  I prayed many more times with my mentor and friends and other times. I even made prayers during church more personal and agreed with them instead of just sitting listening. And you know what? No one else died “as a result of my praying”. Not that my friends died because I prayed anyways. Because, I mean really, who I am to give myself that kind of power? To say that my prayers have the power to kill people? They do not, and by saying or thinking like that, I was putting myself on God’s level. I am nowhere near God’s level, and do not want to be.

After a few years of praying more and coming to these realizations and conclusions, I can now say for sure that prayer is my day to day communication with my best friend, my Savior.  While there are definitely still struggles and times praying is hard, and there are times when I don’t want to tell God stuff, even though He already knows everything, I am at a much better place with prayer. I am to the point that I pray every day, and sometimes multiple times a day.

“Confess your trespasses to one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” James 5:16

No comments: